Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ha! Take that birds!

Finally! I beat them. I got to one of my tomatoes before they did. Ha! Ha! Ha! (Insert wicked cackle here).  It’s only about the size of a quarter, but I got it and they didn’t. Ha!DSCN4212
My one and only tomato plant has tons of green tomatoes on it. I have faithful watered and checked for ripe tomatoes every single day.
DSCN4205
Only to go out the very next morning, and find that the birds (which we have like an entire flock living in our yard) have done this…
DSCN4206
I’ve heard that they peck tomatoes to get the water. So, I set up a makeshift birdbath nearby. Yup, didn’t help. So, after diligent watch I finally harvested my first tomato. I might let it sit in the windowsill to finish ripening. If, I can keep one step ahead of the birds, we might even have enough tomatoes to make a salad!
Speaking of tomatoes, I came in the kitchen to find Aubrey stand at the fridge with the door open. (Please disregard my full 30 yr. old fridge.)
DSCN4208
At first I thought she was just standing there, trying to decide what she was going to grab like she sometimes does. Then, I called her name.
DSCN4210
Turns out, she was stuffing her face full of grape tomatoes. (See the juicy red chin!) She had eaten nearly the entire container of them.  Maybe Aubrey is pecking at my tomato plant.  :)

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

You can pick tomatoes at the slightest hint of it turning from light green to red and they will fully ripen in the house. Bummer about the birds, especially after setting up another water source. We have more of a bug problem but I still feel your pain at losing any of your crop!